Learning to apply God’s Word also helps us grow in godliness. Often, we find applying Scripture to concrete situations to be challenging.
A. The Value of Applying God’s Word
The Bible promises the blessing of God to those who apply the Word of God to their lives. Read James 1:22-25 and John 13:17.
B. Expect to Discover an application.
Since God wants us to be doers of His Word, we should read Scripture expecting to find an application. Expectation is important.
C. Understand the Text
First, seek to understand the text within its original context. Then apply it to your life today.
D. Meditate to Discern the Application
Deep thinking on the truths and spiritual realities of Scripture is the key to putting them into practice. It is by means of meditation that the facts of biblical information are fleshed out into practical application. Read Psalm 119:15 and become a doer of God’s word.
E. Ask Application-Oriented Questions of the Text
For instance, you could ask questions like these:
• Does this text reveal something I should believe about God?
• Does this text reveal something I should praise or thank or trust God for?
• Does this text reveal something I should pray for myself or others?
• Does this text reveal something I should have a new attitude about?
• Does this text reveal something I should decide about?
• Does this text reveal something I should do for the sake of Christ, others, or myself?
F. Respond Specifically
The Spiritual Discipline of Bible intake will require perseverance. The Evil One will do everything he can to prevent your intake of God’s Word. Resist the Evil One and persevere. If you use your mind “in a disciplined way” to feed on the Word of God, you will find that you will grow in godliness and become more Christ-like!
Blessings, Bill Duke